Our goal is to create an environment where you can showcase your strengths. We hope this guide and our Interview Homepage will eliminate any surprises and help you present your best self during your interviews. If you have any questions, please reach out to your Recruiter!
Overall Interview Process & What to Expect
👋 Initial Interview
We want to get to know you and your experience, what you're looking for in your next role, and to tell you about what we're working on at Notion now and in the future. We want to make sure there's mutually a good fit.
🏡 Take Home Exercise
A take-home product design exercise to see how you approach an open-ended problem and make trade-offs, which you will submit to the recruiter or hiring manager. After your initial exercise submission, we may connect you with a Notion designer to talk through your exercise and give feedback. You will present the final solution as part of the on-site presentation.
💻 Virtual Onsite Interviews
We’ll partner to do a deep dive on 1-2 of your past projects, so everyone in the interview panel gets to know you better and get a sense of how you work. At the end of this section, present your final solution to the take-home exercise.
- Pick projects you're most proud of, quickly set context, then go deep. Walk us through your thought process, details in your designs, how you worked with others, how you shipped products to users... The format is up to you. Most importantly, your work speaks for itself.
- Design your presentation to showcase your unique blend of skills — how you present, what you present, and the work itself can give us many clues.
We will have you explore a problem with one of Notion's designers. Think of this as a collaborative working session as if you're already a member of the team. The interviewer will brief you on the problem space and needed context on the spot.
- You lead as you explore, the interviewer is there to help you bounce off ideas and clarify constraints and assumptions.
- We encourage asking any clarification questions and make sure you understand the problem at the onset.
- Break down the problem and talk through your approach as you design.
- Make sure you're communicating what you're doing or thinking to the interviewer, especially if you get stuck. Part of this interview is we want to see what it would be like to work with you.
Career History & Experience Interview
A non-technical career history interview to understand your experience more in-depth, your biggest achievements, challenges, and how you worked with others on teams. It's helpful to review highlights and lowlights of each major role you've held, achievements and challenges through your career, the people you worked with and who your manager was.
💖 Final Interview(s) with C-Suite
You will have the opportunity to meet with someone on our executive team as the final step of our process. Please come prepared to have a discussion around our mission and values, as well as your interest in Notion and this opportunity. They will want to understand your goals, interests, and motivations.
As a final step in the process, we will also conduct reference checks. All offers are contingent on a background check, which includes employment verification.
We want everyone who interviews with us to feel set up for success. Please reach out if you have questions!